How does email marketing work?
The goal of email marketing is to build yourself a “list” of people who you can email. You could do this by telling people to subscribe to your newsletter, or by offering people a free book or download — all they have to do is enter their name and email.
Once someone subscribes to your list, you can email them to talk about other affiliate products they might like. So even if that person never returns to your website, you can still keep talking to them, and keep selling things to them through your email newsletter.
Why should you do it?
An example of a sign-up box for building an email list
- You make more sales because you build a relationship with your subscribers. They trust your opinion, and they’re more likely to buy the things you recommend.
- You make more sales because you can sell multiple things to the same person over an extended period of time. You keep talking to them; they keep buying!
- You can do all this even if the person never comes back to your website. You’ve “caught” them, and you can keep talking to them!
- You can let people know when you add new content to your website. This can give you a boost in publicity, and help that content to take off.
- If your traffic sources dry up (e.g., if your search engine rankings drop and you stop getting visitors from the search engines), you can keep making money.
- You can let your subscribers know when promotions and launches are happening, and make HUGE commissions when everyone rushes to buy!
- You can team up with other websites for some mutually-beneficial backscratching: You promote them to your subscribers, and they promote you right back.
- You could (eventually) sell advertising in your newsletter, and make a little extra cash that way.
- Best of all: It’s easy to set up your emailing so that it is entirely automated. Your emails can go out automatically, and make you money automatically. Easy!What do you need to get started?
Email marketing doesn’t take much to get started, but here are the basics:
• An incentive: You need to give people a good reason to sign up to your newsletter. Simply saying “sign up for my newsletter!” isn’t enough! Your incentive could be a free ebook, free “report,” interview, mini-course, video, or something else.
• A sign-up form: This is the form on your website where people can enter their email address to join your list. You can see an example on the previous page.
• An autoresponder subscription: An autoresponder is a service that drip-feeds your emails to your subscribers so that you don’t need to send out each email manually. The most popular services for this include Aweber, GetResponse, MailChimp and FlutterMail.
• The content of your emails: This is the hardest part: You’re essentially creating a bunch of new articles, and it can be time-consuming or costly to get them all written. We created AffiloJetpack to get around this problem: It gives you a full year’s worth of emails written by expert marketers, with affiliate promotions already built in.
Do you Want to learn more?
• Check out the free lessons on Affilorama to help you with email marketing
• Affiloblueprint shows you how to do it in detail.
• AffiloJetpack does most of it for you, so you can start earning faster!
Final words on email marketing
Newsletters must be excellent to be effective: Remember that you’re trying to build a relationship with your readers, so you need to give them real value so that they trust you. This is especially important in the first ten emails.
Your subscribers can unsubscribe if you annoy them, so try to be subtle when you’re promoting products. Nobody likes a sales pitch. Blend your promotions into your emails as casually and seamlessly as possible.